Monday, November 2, 2009

Go in there and give it your all!

This weekend's Gospel reading (Mark 12:38-44) is about Jesus sitting in the Temple and observing a poor widow giving her last two coins as a tithe. Jesus pointed her out as an example of selfless giving. Although her gift amounted to about ten cents, Jesus said she gave more than the wealthy folks who were coming in and dumping bags of coins into the Treasury. Jesus said that they were just skimming their contributions off of the top of what they owned, while her two nickels were all she owned.

This reading is more than about tithing money. It is about total commitment.

Jesus is in Jerusalem; and we all know what is about to happen to Him in Jerusalem. His time there will eventually lead to Him giving His all for us. Calvary and crucifixion are only days away. The widow at the Treasury is an example for the disciples just as He will be the ultimate example of God's love, trust, and discipleship in a few days.

This reading makes me want to reflect upon my commitment as a disciple. How many times do I drag my feet when I get a call to respond to someone in need? How often do I turn and head in a comfortable direction when I see the possibility of someone or some project needing a lot of my time and attention? What makes me say, "I'd rather not." to invitations to spend some time with someone new?

I'm good at skimming off of the top, of saving some for later, of holding kindness, tenderness, compassion, and especially forgiveness back.

God help us follow the example of the widow and especially of Jesus. Help us be true disciples who give our all and know that you'll never disappoint a faithful giver.

peace,
Fr. Chuck

1 comment:

  1. Fr. Chuck,
    I love your blog! I added your address to my blog site. Nice being back in touch. Keep up the great work!
    Pax,
    Sr. Nicolette

    ReplyDelete