Monday, November 23, 2009

People Get Ready....!

Howdy!

I'm still having an NCYC hangover. I'm exhausted but still fired up about the National Catholic Youth Convention last weekend. There were 22,000 youth and leaders from all over the U.S. and the Spirit was definitely moving. The 12 teens from St. James didn't take long to get into the revelry and spiritual excitement. The music was heart throbbing, participatory, and inspiring. Most of the presenters were able to also get the youth involved by their speaking styles and timely topics. The prayer was moving and motivating.

The question is, "Now What?"

We've all had spiritual experiences that got us fired up. Whether it was a Mass, a retreat, an outreach event, or some other holy time, we all know what is like to be motivated in our faith. Mountain top experiences are important. But when the experience is over and we're back on our home ground,the balloon eventually deflates. How do we stay motivated yet real?

First we have to remember that the experience that we had was also a real experience. It was in an ideal situation perhaps, but it was still real. It is easy when we're living back in our ordinary existence to make light of our spiritual experience. To do so is spiritual suicide.

These spiritual events help us to see what is important in our lives, to set goals, and to dream dreams. In many ways they are God talking to us giving us our mission and our vocation. So when we throw cold water on our spiritual experiences we reduce our chance for intimacy with God.

Also, it is important to make the experiences we have part of our daily prayer. Reminding ourselves of why we were motivated and what we were motivated to do will help us to live out the experience that we had. By reminding ourselves of the experience in prayer it also makes God a continued a part of the experience. And God has a way of making dreams come true when He is part of them.

I bring all of this up because on Sunday, November 29th we begin Advent. And I plan on using this Advent season to pray on my mountain top experiences. When I think of the ways that Christ has been born in me in my life, most of the powerful ways have been in the mountain top experiences. So this Advent I plan on praying over the past and the most recent ways that Christ has come to me. I'm not doing this so I can try to go back and relive my past encounters with God. But I want to recollect God's interventions into my life so that I can follow His will for me now.

Advent is time of prayer and new spiritual awakenings. My hope is that you and I may be re-awakened to live more for God through this holy season.

paz,
Fr. Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment