Monday, October 26, 2009

"You don't have to call me darlin', darlin'!"

Who is a saint? What are saintly qualities? Does a person have to be a spitting image of Mother Theresa, Pope John Paul II, or St. Francis Assisi to be a saint? If so, you wouldn't have a chance (me neither)!!!

The good news is that the world has already had a Mother Theresa, Pope John Paul II, and Francis Assisi. Now God has them, and they are His saints. The better news is that you are the only "you" that God has made, and God wants you to be His saint too.

I promise you that I do not look in the mirror each morning saying, "Good morning, St. Chuck!" I know my holes, sins, weaknesses, and lusts way to well to ever think that I am as saintly as I need to be. But I also know that God wants me to live with Him, trust Him, follow Him, love Him, and obey Him in the unique way that He made me to. I am doing all of those things to varying degrees although they may not be quite up to as high as I would like them to be (or as high as the standards someone else may have in measuring my holiness). But the good news is that measuring holiness is God's job, not mine.

Nov. 1st is All Saints Day. We thank God for the saints who have gone before us. I like to spend time thinking about the people who have done saintly things for me. I want to spend some time on this day honoring men, women, girls, and boys who have shown me some Godly example, or loved me with some Godly love. They too were never destined to be Mother Theresa, Pope John Paul II, or Francis Assisi, but in their own ways they were just who God needed them to be for the time and people destined them.

How is God calling you to be a saint? What can you do this week to honor a "saint" who has helped you?

peace,
Fr. Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment