Monday, October 19, 2009

Changes in Latitude

Howdy!

A bad habit that I've developed in my 28 years of being a priest is not trusting folks who come to me begging for something. Folks come to my door or call me on the rectory phone needing financial assistance. Sometime they need a meal, or a place to stay, or gas money, or transportation. My inclination is not to believe the story they tell me, especially if they are asking for money from me. I presume that the person is going to use the money that they are requesting not for the purpose they say want it for. I presume that I am being lied to.

I guess this comes from actually being lied to by a few of the folks that have come to me in need. That has caused me to form the attitude that all beggars are using me. I have formed a gross generalization to cover all of the needy. They have to prove to me that they are truly in need before I believe them. They are presumed guilty until proven innocent. Thank God that Jesus' attitude was different.

Beggars were a lot more prevalent in Jesus' time than in our day. The sick, the handicapped, divorced women, many widows, prostitutes, "public" sinners, and lots of others depended upon the charity of others for their "daily bread". They were outcasts. There was no Social Security or social obligation to help them. They were an unwanted drain upon society. Yet Jesus seemed to seek out these people. He actually ate and drank with outcasts. He touched the leprous and befriended beggars.

At the end of the tenth chapter of the Gospel of Mark a blind beggar named Bartimaeus approaches Jesus wanting sight. The others in the crowd were like me. They just wanted to ignore Bartimaeus, and asked him to shut up and quit bugging Jesus. Jesus had a better idea. Having the compassion of His Father He actually called the beggar to Him. After Jesus heard his request, He gave Bartimaeus sight. As a result Bartimaeus began following Jesus. Rather than ignore this beggar, Jesus listened to him and granted his plea.

Just before this story Jesus told His disciples that if they wanted to be great in the Kingdom, then they needed to be the least of the world and act as a servant or slave to the needs of God and others. This Gospel follows as a "how to" lesson for us disciples. He lifts up the blind beggar by listening to him, treating him with credibility and respect, and helping him. He shows us would be disciples that no one is beneath us and that everyone deserves a merciful and compassionate hearing.

Jesus' bigger lesson comes on Calvary. That is where all of us get lifted up and given a reward that none of us deserve.

I need to change my attitude toward all others, especially those who have little. If Jesus can forgive me and love me even with my glaring faults, then I can change the way I look at others. How about you?

peace,
Fr. Chuck

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the challenge. I often think about this when I find myself avoiding the eye contact of those at the end of the off-ramp when I come home from work - or the people I occasionally see around town. My biggest barrier is fear - maybe of the unknown, or for my safety - but I think it's a closer to fear of being forced to look a little too closely at myself.

    ReplyDelete