Monday, July 6, 2009

Who Me???

Hello! I'm enjoying this more than I thought I would. By writing this blog and by writing on Monday the letter that is going to appear in our bulletin on Sunday, I'm able to keep the weekend readings alive in my head and my heart before I actually put my thoughts together and write a homily on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday. Also your comments are helping me get a larger perspective for putting my thoughts together.

This week the prophet Amos tells the priest Amaziah, that he didn't plan on being a prophet, but God had other plans (Amos 7:12-15). Amos was trying to tell the Jewish religious and political leaders that he had a vision of the walls of the Temple being tilted and about ready to fall. The religious and political leaders (represented by the priest, Amaziah) took this personally, and told Amos thanks for the advice but, "GO HOME!" Amos politely apologizes. He tells Amaziah that he is not really a prophet; that by trade he is a shepherd and a tree surgeon. But God gave Amos these visions and insights, and God's Spirit compelled him to let the king and the priests know what God's vision was.

In the Gospel (Mark 6:7-13) Jesus sends His disciples out two by two to do the work of the Kingdom of God. These folks were not schooled in seminaries or even synagoues. They were fishermen, tax collectors, zealots, and perhaps a few people whom Jesus healed or excorcised. I've heard them and us referred to as God's "rag tag army". If any of the first disciples thought that they were going to be called to be anything other than ordinary, I would be completely surprised. Yet they were sent to be missionaries for God. After Jesus' death and Ressurection these same folks would be sent again to all of the nations to heal, forgive, and Baptize. In other words God's "rag tag army" has been responsible for growing the Church since Jesus ascended back into Heaven.

Do you consider yourself part of God's "rag tag army"? How are you accepting God's mission for you? Do you have a God-given vision that you'd like to share? Is there something holding you back from living your discipleship?

Please feel free to comment.

Peace,
Fr. Chuck Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment