Monday, July 13, 2009

Baaaaa!!!!

Two Saturdays ago we celebrated "Independence Day". We Americans are founded on the principals and ideals of national and personal "Freedom". It may be our highest and most sacred value as a nation. Freedom of choice, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and the freedoms of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are all part of our national genetics. Denying another person their "right" to freedom is not only against the law, it is a reprehensible sin in our country. All of our legislators, and all of our court room judges and benches make decisions daily, based on the principals of personal, civil, and legal freedom.

Besides, we like being "independent". We think it is great to be able to go where we want, say what we want, and do what we want. We sincerely believe that any child in America can grow up to be anything they dream to be (even president), if they apply themselves to that dream.

On the other side of this is that we do not like to be dependent on anyone for anything at any time. We think that having to rely on others is a sign of weakness. If we can't do the job by ourselves, then we're doing an inadequate job (or worse we are inadequate). We may have to team up with others to be successful (in our sports, or work, or families, or communites, or even as a nation). But then we as a team, or family, or work force, or nation have accomplished the task together as a team (by ourselves).

Then we face the Scriptures. Mighty King (and successful military general) David had to admit that, "The Lord is my Shepherd...". He had to face the fact that even with his wealth, power and military might he had to rely on God. Jesus in the gospel today looked at a needy throng of people and likened them to "sheep without a shepherd" (Mark 6:30-34). Although we do not like to be compared to weak and needy sheep, we have to admit that for most of the important things in life we are dependent on God and others. We may be able to wake up, and survive living by ourselves in a day, but when we ask ourselves the hard question of why doo we have any of the stuff, any of the talent, any of the time, or any of the relationships that matter to us in this life; the answer is that only by the goodness of God do we have anything at all.

Questions for your reflection this week:
What area of your life do you need to let God shepherd?
How has God led you through life thus far? (Or, can you see how God is leading you through life?)

paz,
Fr. Chuck

3 comments:

  1. As you know, my mom was 97 when she passed away the day after Christmas. She was an independent woman, used to being the caregiver. The past several years have been so difficult for her as she had to face the reality that her body was giving in to age, but her mind didn't until the very end. She never gave up hope that she would go home again and do the things she once did. Now, Jim and I talk about when we advance in age - how will we react to losing our independence? It will be a hard thing to do. On the one hand, we are taught to take responsibility for our own actions, work hard, earn your keep - but it is the times when we are the most vulnerable that we realize we are totally dependent on the ONE that created us to be independent. I think that by being a part of the cycle of life, being a caregiver to the very old and the very young - I found my place in this world. Our lives begin and end most closely connected to GOD. It is taking me a lifetime to realize my dependence on the ONE who guides me on that journey in the middle. As I age and ease toward total dependence, I pray I'll find the grace to let others be servants to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are still many things I can remember about being a kid. I can remember dancing on dad’s toes and occasionally being picked up and carried when I couldn’t keep going on my own, or when I was more than half asleep. I also remember walking through the woods and hiking mountains with dad. We would stop as he would point out the markings on a tree, the way to find a path or road, where to look for springs, how to avoid rattlesnakes, what landmarks to pick to not get lost, what animals had been through and how long ago, how to use a compass, how to start a fire, and how to survive if the need were to ever arise. In a way, all of these little lessons were his way of continuing to carry his little girl, just a little further, to make sure that I could go through the dark valleys and find green pastures and restful waters. In the same way, I have seen God providing little lessons, gently guiding. God has pointed out different paths and road, shown me where to look for water. In scripture, I have learned about dangers to avoid and have been shown some landmarks to keep me from becoming too lost, even if I ignored much of it in college. Following the compass as best I could has brought me to Kentucky, where I am continuing to learn more, more about life, paths, choices, responsibility, and acceptance. I can look back at everything in my life—the good and bad, the joys and sorrows, the triumphs and struggles—and I can see a plan and purpose. I can see God’s guidance. . . . and I am thankful. However, I still struggle with trust, to trust God enough to follow, especially when I don’t like the look of the road ahead. Dark valleys are still dark, and sometimes I am afraid of the dark. The area of my life where I need to allow God to shepherd, simply put, is my future. Though I have trusted in the past, it is hard to relinquish control, pride, and the sense of self-adequacy to continue to allow God to shepherd in my present and my future, in all areas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Fr. Chuck for creating this blog. Whether people are brave enough to post a comment or not, I know a lot of people are reading and now thinking about your questions. I am not one of those who might comment often, but I did want you to know that you have readers. I have even shared this sight with some of my non-Catholic friends and they do enjoy the blog and have commented to me that it truly makes them think. God has always shown and guided me thru tough times, though admittedly I sometimes didn't like the answer and took my sweet time getting to the right answer. I am so thankful for the talents God has given to me and I try to use them to honor him along the path of life. I have so far to go to become what I believe God has in mind for me and I need to listen more often. I have to admit that I ask for a lot more from God then I give to him in return. I ask him things I know I should just do...like improving my willpower... help me to quit smoking, help me to lose weight...help me balance my work and private life…which all in fact are lifestyles that I chose. God has led me to answers and given me warnings, like a minor heart attack, as an answer to change my habits, but in my INDEPENDENCE I again take my sweet time getting to the correct answer and action. You are absolutely correct in saying that we do not like to be dependent on anyone and sadly I believe that I feel we want God to waive a magic wand and answer our prayers without having to do anything ourselves about it. I know in my heart that God answers my prayers, but I also know that it takes effort on my part to get the proper results for the answer. That effort to achieve the result is what I need to improve and focus on to still keep my independence. We need God in every part of our life, whether we choose to admit it or not.

    ReplyDelete