Thursday, December 20, 2012

Advent IV & Christmas

“Thus says the LORD: You, Bethlehem-Ephrathah too small to be among the clans of Judah, from you shall come forth for me one who is to be ruler in Israel; whose origin is from of old, from ancient times.” (Micah 5:1-2.)

I do a lot of my praying outdoors or riding in my car. I don’t know if it is because I grew up in a parish named after St. Francis of Assisi or because of my Father’s quiet and contemplative spiritual influence, but God seems to help me listen to Him best while I’m in nature. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not denigrating Mass, the Sacraments, or ritual prayer, or even meditating on the Scriptures or other sacred writings. I need that nourishment as well. But, I experience God very well when I’m in the woods, or on a walk, or driving through the knobs, or on the lake.

One of the things that God points out to me in nature is that He is present and active in the smallest of things. Whether it is in the “mustard seed” parable or the grand idea that starts out as an idle thought, God always starts small and gets huge! We also get a glimpse of the God in the wonder of childbirth. From two microscopic wonders of God’s creation meeting in a womb comes the even greater miracle of a human being.

In the first reading from the Prophet Micah the author calls Bethlehem “Bethlehem-Ephrathah”. The word “ephrathah” in Hebrew means “too small”. The Prophet is telling us that from the “too small” discounted town of Bethlehem will come the Savior of the World and the Son of God. The story we celebrate this week is even more miraculous and beautiful when we consider that the Son of God started just like us. He too was microscopic and began life in the womb of His Mother Mary.

This season is a time to appreciate the awe and wonder of God. I encourage you to take time to reflect on the little things of Christmas. Notice God in the eyes wide open of a child, or the warm embrace of an old lady. See Him sitting in the pew with you. Hear His off-tune voice trying to sing of the mystery of the Incarnation. Experience a little humility this Christmas realizing how fortunate we are in celebrating this Christmas.

Merry Christmas!!!!
Fr. Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment