Monday, August 30, 2010

....it's a family tradition!

Hello Darlin's!

"If anyone comes to me without hating his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.”

Every time I read this quote from today’s Gospel I get upset. I have to admit that I love my family and my life. And the words of Jesus tell me to hate them!?!?!? I can’t do that. My family, especially my Mom and Dad, were the ones who taught me my faith by their words, actions, and discipline. I get inspiration today from my sister and brother who stay faithful and strong despite the difficult circumstances that they face in their day to day lives. There’s nothing to hate about them. Not only do I love their faithfulness but they are both good people that I’m proud to know and call my brother and sister.

So what could Jesus mean by this statement? Surely Jesus wasn’t anti-family or marriage. He also repeated the Old Testament passage from Genesis affirming the permanence of marriage and how when two people marry they become an unbreakable one. He even came from THE Holy Family! I believe this was another parable from Jesus. He used parables to shock us into attention. Jesus said very bold things to turn our minds and hearts upside down, and so we could get a glimpse of the total commitment of love and forgiveness God has made to us and is asking from us.

My best example of this being lived out is actually from my Mom. Her relationship to God was always first in her life. On the day of my ordination she told me to only go to the Cathedral that morning IF I was going to be a good priest. (I’m still working on that.) But her point was that her pride to have a priest in the family was not as important to her as having a good priest to be dedicated to God and for the Church. I know my sister and brother have also been told and shown that Mom always loved them but also worried about some bad behaviors that could be leading them away from faithfulness to God. In other words, I think Jesus’ message was the same as Mom’s (who died five years ago on Labor Day, by the way). God, and living for God, comes before every possession and every other relationship that we have.

It would be hard to imagine a recovering alcoholic or addict maintaining sobriety while keeping a stash of booze or dope around their house. It is equally hard to think of someone who is truly trying to straighten up a very wayward life and maintaining the relationships he or she had with their very wayward friends. Commitment to Christ takes the same separation when necessary. God comes first always. Even when it means letting go of the ways, possessions, and folks that keep us from living God’s way.

The message is still tough to comprehend. But sometimes we need a good jolt.

paz,
Fr. Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment