Monday, August 23, 2010

I, me, my, mine

Hi folks,

Anytime that I write or talk about humility, I feel like I’m living out that old Mac Davis song that brags, “Lord, it’s hard to be humble, when you’re perfect in every way.” But the gospel today is about Gospel humility so I have to admit again that I am not a humble man, although I do strive to be.

There was a fellow I knew, from a previous parish, who used to come to Mass every time the doors were open; Sundays, Holy Days, holidays, and weekdays. He’d also come to the funeral home, or visit the hospital and nursing home every time a parishioner was in one of those places. He was retired and met with a bunch of other “old goats” at the local Dairy Queen for coffee and gossip (oops, I forgot that men don’t gossip). He would also want to bend my ear about all of the activities “for God” that he was doing. In fact, all he did with anyone at church, the funeral home, the hospital, the nursing home, and at Dairy Queen was talk about himself and all of the things he was doing. I got comments from parishioners fresh out of the hospital, or in the nursing home, or he had met him in the funeral home or in Dairy Queen. They usually complained or joked about his visits. Sometimes he would get so busy talking about himself at the funeral home, hospital, or nursing home that he wouldn’t even ask the parishioner how their loved one died, or why they were sick or in rehab. He would come in telling a big tale about himself or passing on this funny story that he had just heard, and in the mean time he would “forget” to pay any attention to the others he was with. He kept me informed about parishioners and their families that I probably needed to visit. He was sometimes entertaining to be around. He could make anyone laugh, no matter their situation. But he seemed to promote himself to everyone.

Jesus tells us today that, “the one who exalts himself will be humbled; and the one who humbles himself for the sake of the kingdom will be exalted.” Let us practice what we hear from the mouth of Christ today. Let us each and all attempt to do one unselfish act per day this week for the good of someone else. Whether it is saying a prayer for a family member, a neighbor, or someone clear across the world give it a try. Even more unselfishly try to give your time and total attention to someone who might need your time and attention this week. Imitating Christ’s unselfish humility begins by our attempting small acts. Hopefully they will lead to larger sacrifices that will bring us the grace of humility.

paz,
Fr. Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment