Friday, December 19, 2014

Just a Girl Who Can't Say No!

I remember when I dove in the swimming pool for the first time. I believe I was six years old, and we were on vacation, heading for Florida. I had jumped in pools and creeks and ponds before. I had learned how to float, then dog paddle and then freestyle. I loved the water. Mom and Dad had taught me to like it and respect it. They were my coaches. They would support me and coax me until I was able to swim and jump into the water on my own. But diving was scary. I had to do this on my own. Dad stood in the water and offered to lift me out if I got in trouble. And Mom cheer led. But I had to dive in by myself. I stood with my toes hanging over the edge of the Holiday Inn pool, knees flexed, body bent in a more than ninety degree angle toward the water, hands together, pointing over my head and toward the pool. And I stood there. For what seemed for hours I stood in that position. Through my mind was racing thoughts of pain. "This is going to sting worse than any belly-flop. It's going to be all of the pain of a belly-flop all on my face. Then I'm going to get all of that water up my nose. This is going to hurt!" So, I stood there. A couple of times I leaned over far enough that I fell in accidentally. But at the last minute "saved" myself by bailing out of the dive, and doing an awkward "jump/ belly-flop" thing. Each of those times I'd get back out of the pool and assume the "scared to dive" position. And, I'd stand some more. Then a reality hit me. I remember thinking that standing, bent in half with arms over my head and facing the pool was stupid. Here I was being scared of something that I knew I was going to like. So, I flexed my knees a little more and sprung off of the side of the pool into the water. It didn't hurt at all! Before the vacation was over I was diving from the diving board, not just the side of the pool, largely because fear was replaced by the reality of a love.

Can you imagine Mary's fear when the Angel Gabriel came to visit her? "I'm too young!" "I'm engaged!" "What are the families and neighbors going to think of an unmarried and pregnant girl?" "You want me to be the mother of "WHO"?" "How is this going to work?" Mary had many reasons to tell God to knock on the door of someone else. Yet, she said "YES!" Mary had a love for God that replaced her fear. Her trust in her God empowered her cooperate with God's plan and God's path for her, even though she could not comprehend it, and even though God's Will for her was not what she originally thought it was. And, although she said "Yes!" to God, it didn't mean that her path was easy from there on out. God helped Joseph trust in His plan. But, I'm sure that other kin, "friends" and neighbors stung Mary with their shuns, remarks and glances. Being the mother of the Messiah couldn't have been an easy task either. Raising any child is a tough chore. Can you imagine trying to raise a boy who was the Son of God? Mary had to wonder if she was doing it correctly, more than often. She also had to watch Him in His adult life and ministry. As the Prime Disciple, Mary got to observe the awe and wonder of those spellbound by His teaching and His miracles. She also had to endure the derision of the doubters and haters. Worse she was one of the very few "there" when He bore the weight of our sins on the Cross. She witnessed His torturous murder.

Because Mary allowed her fear to be replaced by love, we are saved. The birth of the Son that she allowed God to give her, changed the destiny of the World. Her "Yes!" allowed God to say "Yes!" to us. Yes, we are loved beyond all counting. Yes, we are undeservedly forgiven, just for the asking. Yes, we are promised eternal life with Him as a free gift.

As we go through this weekend and the Holy Days of Christmas, let's remember that God has already said "Yes!" to us. How are we being called to say "Yes!" to Him and let His Love replace our fear?

Merry Christmas and very much love!
The Priesty Guy

1 comment:

  1. Pray your Christmas is as loving and joy-filled as you are! Thank you for sharing this and the wonderful picture of your parents. They did good!! Really good!! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete