Friday, October 31, 2014

All Saints and Souls

This weekend is one of my favorite couple of days in the whole Church year. All Saints and All Souls Days are feast days for everyone we have ever loved, or been loved by. These two days help us remember and lift up to God those who have meant much to us.

In the Latin American and Italian traditions, and probably more, relatives go to the graves of their loved ones and decorate them and have meals with them. Some also erect altars in their homes commemorating family and friends who have died with pictures and other treasured reminders. These days are important days for all of us no matter how we celebrate them.

Some time during the month of November I will go to St. Francis of Assisi cemetery and pray the rosary with Mom, Dad, grandparents and uncles. At that time I'll also remember other grandparents, aunts, uncles, friends, family, and parishioners who have gone to live in eternity with God, or who are waiting for their time to enter eternal life. Usually this is the slowest rosary I pray all year. That is because I try to remember all of the folks, how they have touched me, and what I hope for each one. My prayer starts when I head in the direction of St. Francis, and continues at least until I get home. It makes for a full and holy day.

These feasts also cause me to remember that our lives are more than just life here. God has a future prepared for every single one of us, eternally. From conception to eternity God has a gift and a plan for us, life ever lasting.

Our all loving and all just God offers each and all of us this gift. It is our choice how we will accept and live this gift called life. Let us each take some time this weekend and this month of November to thank God for all of the Saints and Souls whom we have known. Let us then take some stock of the life that God has given us and commit ourselves again to live the gift according to God's paln.

Peace and Blessings,
Fr. Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment