Monday, February 14, 2011

"Love your Enemas!"

Hi Friends,

I am not a very patient driver. Although I would not classify myself as a road rage warrior, I do fuss and cuss a lot behind the wheel. I get angry when someone cuts me off. And if the windows are down you might hear my temper being expressed toward the offender. I seem to always be in a hurry to get to my destination. So that makes me even more frustrated when another driver impedes me. (It would probably help if I left for destination five minutes earlier!)

A few years ago I attempted something in Lent that sadly didn’t get carried forward after that Easter. Instead of cussing and fussing at my road “enemies”, I resolved to ask God to bless them. I said a prayer for them. Sometimes I even made the sign of the cross towards them as an act of forgiveness and blessing. I’m sure some of them saw this, but I have no idea if it had any effect on the way they drove. BUT it changed me (for 40 days :o( ) and made me a happier driver. (I think I’ve just talked myself into a renewed Lenten penance.)

The Gospel this weekend is a continuation of the Sermon on the Mount. Jesus is still talking to His crowd about how to really live the Commandments. He continues to say, “You have heard it said…., but I say…..” Today, in particular, He addresses revenge and how we must live love. No more “eye for an eye” or only “love your neighbor” Jesus tells us. Instead, we are to turn our cheeks to violence done toward us and love those who wish us and do us harm. YIKES!

Jesus is setting standards for us that will make us stand out as “different” from the rest of the world. Rather than going along with our society’s understanding that justice is the same as revenge, we are called to help people be better in loving ways. Instead of returning violence done to us personally or as a nation with more violence (through torture, the death penalty, or war), we disciples are called to seek compassion, help, and understanding with our “enemy”.

These are hard teachings, but they are the Word of God that most need to be lived in our day and in our time. And they may have to start being lived in the real and practical world of our own day to day lives; on Ring Road or Dixie Highway while we are driving; or in our families with the misfit or rebel child; or in Church with the fellow member that seems to know what button to push that makes us clinch our jaw.

“LOVE YOUR ENEMIES!” The Commandment never changes! But with the help of God we can change.

peace,
Fr. Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment