Thursday, June 24, 2010

Imperfect one seeking perfection

Hi folks,

Sometimes I can’t stand myself. I have been on a diet and exercise plan for about four months now. I’ve lost nearly twenty pounds and I feel better. BUT, lately I find myself being less committed to “the plan”. I’ll go for a sweat producing walk in the morning and then “have to have” some Derby pie in the evening. Or, I’ll have a salad for lunch and then eat the biggest and greasiest pizza that you’ll ever find in E-town for supper. Or, rather than take the time to exercise, I’ll play solitaire on the computer. The result is that I’ve lost and gained the same three or four pounds weekly over the last month. I do similar sorts of waffling with my commitments to prayer and work. I know I’m not alone in my inconsistencies and unfaithfulness. I know well that you and I are all imperfect at trying to be perfect.

At the beginning of the Gospel of Luke today (Luke 9:51) it says, “(Jesus) resolutely determined to journey to Jerusalem.” The literal translation of this says that He “set His face toward Jerusalem.” This is one of my favorite passages in the Gospels. When I read this passage, I get a visual image of Jesus putting His game face on. At this moment (right after the Father showed Him His future on the Mount of the Transfiguration) Jesus committed Himself totally to what He knew was going to happen to Him (and for us) in Jerusalem. He is our model for consistency and faithfulness.

“Jesus stayed faithful to His being raised on the cross. He remains faithful to our irresolute turnings toward our own personal establishing of our little kingdoms. Our fidelity is not totally to our commitments, but to His faithful commitment to being our Savior. He saves us from ourselves, our attempts at perfection. How can we live with ourselves who so constantly are not constant? To whom are we faithful? With Paul we moan that all the good we want to do, we do not and those things we would rather not do, well, we easily do them. Our baptismal promises center on Jesus’ being our personal and universal Savior. We live with ourselves, because He does.” (From Fr. Larry Gillick, S.J.)

Thank God that God is bigger than us. He calls us to commit ourselves to Him and His way of life. He also forgives us when we don’t. Discipleship is like riding a bike in some ways. Once we learn to follow Christ, we never forget. When we fall and fail, then we get back up, dust ourselves off, and start the journey again.

PAZ,
Fr. Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment