Tuesday, December 8, 2009

All I Want for Christmas!!!!!!!

More John the Baptist?!?!?! When do we get to the good stuff?

My problem is that I’m tired of John the Baptist and those prophesies of change of heart, change of attitude, and especially changes of my behavior. But this weekend we get one more installment of St. John the Baptist telling the folks that are coming to him what to do about their lives.(Luke 3:10-18)

I remember in grade school going to the Sacrament of Reconciliation every other Saturday with my parents. Fr. Spalding would always prescribe just about the same penance every time. No matter what the sin(s) Fr. John T. would give me one to five Our Fathers, Hail Mary’s, and Glory Be’s. St. John the Baptist was different. When folks came to him asking, “What ought we to do about our sins?” his penances were more “sin” specific. He told the folks who confessed selfishness to share better. He told the tax collectors to quit stealing. He told the soldiers to quit lording their power over folks and be fair.

Saying a couple of prayers is easy. Actually changing is tough. But in order to really make Christmas what Christmas is, the “easy” way is not enough. If I want Christ to be reborn in me; if I want Christ to mean something more to me this year than he ever has before, then I have to be willing to change. I have to reprioritize my values, my attitude, my habits, and my behaviors.

The popular bumper sticker says, “Put Christ Back into Christmas!” That is easy to say we want to do. Are we each willing to make the changes in our lives that make this a reality? Or do we just want everyone else to change, and we remain the same dormant selves?

St. John the Baptist you are just what we need to make this the best Christmas ever!!!!

Peace and Blessings,
Fr. Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment