Monday, June 15, 2009

Jesus stills the storm(s)

This is my first attempt at this. What I'd like to do is post a blog each week, say on Sunday night or Monday morning. My plan is to usually give my first thoughts on the upcoming weekend's Catholic lectionary readings, or on whatever the upcoming weekend's Church feast is. I may also use this spot for letting you all know either what's going on in this warped mind of mine or what may be going on in our Church or parish. Why I'm doing this is because I want to know what you think about what I'm thinking and vice versa. Here's to trying any way.

The Gospel for next weekend is about Jesus being asleep in the boat with his disciples while a storm is whipping up the Sea of Galilee (Mark 4:35-41). Jesus wakes up and tells the storm and the waves to sit down and shut up, and they obey him. The disciples get upset with Jesus because He didn't move fast enough for them. Then Jesus questions their faith.

How do you deal with storms or crisis in your life? Sometimes I'm better at it than at other times. I like to think that I'm a pretty cool and calm operator. I like to think I don't get rattled very easily. But I fake it a bunch too. I don't like surprises, crisis, changes of plans, conflict, etc. any more than anyone else. Sometimes it takes me a while to realize and remember what I know and believe, i.e. God's in control ultimately and God is going to love me in whatever the storm is. God does not disappoint. Even if the answer is not the one I wanted or chose, God's answer is best. I may not fully understand God's solution to a crisis or a tragedy in this life, but I trust that God never stops loving (EVER).

Please comment on my post. I want to read what you have to say. Give me examples of storms in your own life, or how you saw God calming a storm that you experienced.

10 comments:

  1. Great idea Fr. Chuck! Regarding my own storms - I like the 'aha' moments that I sometimes experience once I understand God's answer or respone to my storms or prayers.

    I look forward to reading more!

    Jamie Hobbs

    ReplyDelete
  2. The biggest storms in my life have been losing my Dad at 22, losing a baby on Christmas Day, 1977, and losing my Mom and best friend 13 years ago. In all cases, I turned to God and my faith pulled me through. All three are angels in heaven, and something tells me that baby I lost is flying for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited about following - thanks for doing this!
    As far as storms go, I have found that turning over control to God (or at least the control I think I have) is the most difficult part for me. That response in crisis, or even in the best of times, I believe is at the heart of faith. It's something I imagine I'll be working on throughout my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to future posts. Prayer and family get me through the storms in my life. The worst "storms" I have endured have been when my kids have been hurt in a life altering ways,and I couldn't prevent it,or, protect/save them from it. I let them see and hear me praying, not only for them, but also for guidance for me, and for the ability to be able to forgive-for all of us.
    person(s) who hurt them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sure miss you Fr. Chuck...I'm so glad I saw this. I don't think you could have "blogged" anything that would have hit me closer to home.
    This entire scenario...is me too...except I have to constantly remind myself of God's love and letting go of the need to "control"...always easier said than done. I sometimes feel lost...with so many who tell you how to pray...how you should believe...what you should believe...I lose sight of what is REAL...and have to find my way back again...and again. Thanks so much for your insight...wish you were still in Louisville.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the strokes folks. Does anyone know how to post pictures from my computer to a blog site?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea. I love reading your note in the bulletin each week, so I know this will be a blessing. A major storm in my life was when I lost my Dad to suicide. With the grace of God, I have found peace and some understanding. I am so grateful for God's mercy and forgiveness. I pray for my Dad and others who left this world that way, that they will find the peace that they so desperately wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have weathered many storms as others have. But with the grace of God I am able to come through. There are many times I feel beaten but at my lowest I know I can find my way back with prayer. It is the strong values and christian believes that I have been raised on that help me meet any challenge. Fr. Chuck thanks for the blog I look forward to your next one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! This is my first attempt at this, so bear with me. You're right! Too many times we want our answer to be God's answer, and right now! I too often try to seek the answer to my storm without seeking God's answer in prayer. I think the disciples did the same thing. Bet they were trying to keep the boat from rocking, and finally Jesus thought, "Well guess you're not going to ask for my help, so I'll just stop this stuff before we all drown." Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Well, going to the beach for a week, so probably won't be connected for a while. BillC

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the blog idea. I'm sure you will have a ton of readers.
    As for the storms, I always remind myself that God won't give me more than he thinks I can nahdle, that he knows my strengths better than I do, and that no matter what, he's there to help me weather the storm, and look for the sunny days ahead.
    Can't wait to read the next post!
    --Jami

    ReplyDelete